Why Do I Ride?

 

 


Why do I ride? Indian roads are not meant for hobby riding. Motorcycles are dangerous. Aren't you afraid you'll crash and hurt yourself or worse? 

All of us who like riding have heard all of this or addressed these questions. I'll try and answer them as best as I can from my perspective. 


I've been riding for nearly 24+ years, as soon as I was allowed to get back on anything that was motorized after my back injury, I've found riding, especially long distance or even shorter helps me shed my mental baggage and de-stress. Riding helps focus the mind, and concentrate and sharpens the focus. You need to be present in the moment, completely, one small mistake, a sudden lapse of judgment, a dog with a death wish, a human being without road sense, or even a patch of loose gravel can all end very badly. I have to ensure that I am focused on the task, completely and unequivocally to ensure that I enjoy the trip and return safely. Riding on Indian roads makes it even more of a challenge. It's also an amazing way of making new friends. Most of the friends I made in the last few years have been because I ride, amazing people, from diverse backgrounds, we probably would have never talked if it wasn't for motorcycles. Also, it's an amazing way to see to country around you. Pick a spot on the map and go. You get some gorgeous locations and destinations.

The last couple of years were bad, first COVID, then other challenges, and for a while, I was told I shouldn't be riding and all of it together just took a toll. For one reason or another other, I wasn't able to indulge myself in the one activity that helped me destress. It was crushing, sounds like #firstworldproblems but there was a real possibility, and still is I guess that I won't be able to get on a motorcycle ever again and that would be bad but till then I'll try and put as many km I can to help maintain my sanity. 


Other advantages: 

- You look absolutely badass in riding gear, dress up like a power ranger, even a nerd/geek like me 

- you get everywhere faster, by cutting through traffic and look good doing it 

- Riding motorcycles are is a great ice breaker, you meet the nicest people on a bike 


#whyweride #whyiride

0 comments: