A suitable girl

When you are an Indian male and rushing 30 at warp speed, mothers tend to go into a kind of apoplectic hyperactivity. Pictures of strange women start to surface all over the house, strategically placed to catch your eye so that you might pick them up and enquire as to the identity. I come from a pretty liberal family, liberal enough to introduce the girls I was dating to my parents as my girl friend. My parents always kept a distance from the way I ran my life and its affairs, while still keeping an eye as to how my life was carried out. But from the time I finished my education it always became a question of when and not if I would commit to the girl I was dating at the time. Sadly there have been no relationships worth mentioning to my mother, this has put her, my mother, in a spot. She has always maintained that as long as I finished my studies and had a strong career she would not interfere on who I married or when. But as one after the other my contemporaries and more importantly my friends fell to the charms of marriage. No she is in a tizzy, I refuse to commit to a girl and she refuses to let me force her hand and arrange a marriage.

So all my fast dwindling no. of single friends have come under the microscope, going as far as to propose a South African single mother, who I met on business, if I so choose. What is difficult for me to state is that I do not have any precondition as to who I want to marry. 28 for me is not a bad stage in life to be single, having just got out of college two years back I have got comfortable with life just recently, committing to a marriage and my life to a girl seems a scary thought. Second is having some girl's life tied to mine is scarier still as I really don't trust my own decision making skills. But ok, this is about what I would be looking at in a prospective partner.

The most important factor is it should be a person I can have a conversation with, see my biggest fear is I would end up marrying someone whose entire repertoire begins at makeup and ends with the neighbor's daughter. This thought gives me living nightmares. So it has to be someone who tries to at least understand what I am spouting, from F1 to global finance to dogs. More so she should be able to stimulate conversation, listen as well as talk. Oh and she has to agree to adopt a child. That is all I would ask a girl who agrees to marry me, now what she needs to know about me would fill an encyclopedia, in brief. How we would get around that, is something I dare not tackle here. May be it would be better if she were a lawyer or a doctor because then lawyer/client or a doctor/patient privilege would protect me.



P.S. when I came up with this blog it was much more funnier and interesting to read, but I was on a train with zero battery and no pen and paper, and half asleep. This is what remains. Ciao and happy hunting to all the singles out there.

6 comments:

--xh-- said...

dey dey.. praayam kure aayi.. poyi pennu kettedey... :-D

Ronald Weasley said...

lolz .. u are extremely lucky though that ur mum tho expressly anxious, has chosen not to be annoyingly imposing .. at least u get to call the shots for ur own life :D ..

Abt 'adopting a child' .. I guess it wud have to be someone who, like you, WANTS to adopt a child, n does not need a buy-in for the idea ... :)

Anyhow, enjoy the freedom till it lasts ... coz, all good things come to an end :D ..

Anonymous said...

hehehehe! I still rememebr our chat :P

i m sorry it still i sfunny :P

And as Weasly points out.. enjoy the freedom till it lasts :P

ReviewKaka said...

well wot can i say.. the thot of a lavish wedding cake and a sumptuous dinner is enough for me to side with your mom :P :P

Shaveta said...

firstly its not apologetic or sumthin for ur mom tht u r not gettin married.. u choose to stay unmarried and ur parents respected ur wishes but now i guess its high time that U SHOULD FIND A GIRL AND GET DONE WITH UR LIFE'S IMPORTANT OBLIGATION...

m just waitin for the day to come soon.. hadd hai yaar... aab toh mei wait kar karke thaak gai... i am fully supportive to ur mom.. :D

and m sure u will get someone whose supportive and all ur fears will come untrue..

best wishes..
its me
S

Shruti said...

:))
I feel its never fun *looking for* a partner. I so hate arranged marriages. :P